36% YoY sales growth for expert skincare brand Eau Thermale Avène, despite reported category decline
Eau Thermale Avène wanted to promote their range of sun care products and, in particular, successfully launch three new SKUs appealing to new audiences;
- B Protect (a tinted, cosmetic sun care targeting a young, urban audience)
- Sport Fluid (a ‘sweat-proof’, light-textured sun care targeting active men and women)
- Child SPF (a high protection sun care specially formulated for the sensitive skin of children - targeting mums)
The goal of these launches was to increase total category market share, grow YoY sales revenue and secure YoY growth in demand from key stockists.
Through a collaborative workshop with the client team and audience research we identified that our audiences spend the majority of their time in the following spaces online:
- Online magazines (differs by audience - beauty/fashion/lifestyle/travel/sports/fitness/wellbeing/parenting)Engaging with influencers (differs by audience - beauty/fashion/lifestyle/travel/sports/fitness/wellbeing/parenting)
- Searching online about sun care products or related content/concerns
- Reading reviews and related forums
We based our media plan and targeting around this.
Full Funnel Positioning
We leveraged channels strategically to position the brand across the awareness, consideration and decision stages of the customer journey, enabling us to tailor messaging based on funnel position and intent.:
- Awareness → customers are driven to the campaign microsite on Avène's website where they can find out about the brand, sun care products and consume other editorial content about the effects of the sun.
- Consideration --> customers are driven to the stockist to read customer reviews, find out price and buy.
- Decision --> tactical promotions are used to drive customers straight to the stockist product page to buy.
Alignment with Avène's PR/Influencer Strategy
We aligned our digital activities with Avène's PR and influencer strategy to reinforce messaging across touchpoints and extend total reach and frequency.
The campaign ran alongside in-store and online offers (such as ‘3 for 2’ and ‘25% off’), providing a strong incentive for new customers to trial Avène's products for the first time. We concentrated these offers into the consideration phase of our strategy to re-engage non-converting traffic in the funnel.
The campaign scaled across five months in total (April-August 2019) to allow us to achieve adequate reach and frequency to grow awareness/brand recall as well as drive sales during the peak summer season. We identified that it was crucial to be visible early in the season to maximise awareness ahead of peak buying times and compete with other key category players.
Avène's sun-care sales grew by +32% YoY during the campaign; April’s sales were particularly strong at +86% YoY during the first month of the campaign, proving our recommendation to be in market promoting Avène’s sun care range earlier in the year (April 2019 vs June 2018).
This YoY boost follows Avène's second largest year of growth in the sun care category ever (2018) and was also driven despite a reported decline in the total sun care category in 2019.
who are Eau Thermale Avène?
Eau Thermale Avène is a French challenger brand within the Derma Cosmetic market, specialising in skincare products for sensitive skin types.
We briefed Sagittarius to deliver an integrated digital campaign to promote our Sun Care range in summer 2018. Their strategic approach has helped us to increase awareness of the brand and product range among our core audience and activate new customers - an important factor in our overarching mission to grow market share in this category
They have built upon the success of previous campaigns to deliver a solution that has created real tangible impact to our business, with sales increasing 36% YoY during the campaign. Sagittarius bring a wealth of digital knowledge that means we are constantly able to explore new, measurable routes to reaching our customersCharlotte Heckford, Marketing Director - Pierre Fabre Dermo-Cosmétique
Want to use multi-channel marketing to drive in-store purchases?
we respect your data
At Sagittarius, we want to share our passion and excitement for digital. By providing your details you agree to be contacted by us.
We will treat your personal data with respect and you can find details in our Privacy Statement - this includes:
- What information do we collect about you
- How will we use the information about you
- Access to your information and correction
win with us.
We exist to make your business thrive and our greatest reward is our returning clients. Our focus is and always will be on our clients and not on industry awards and accreditations, which could account for why we’ve won so many of them…